Thursday, May 24, 2007

There's No Junk in My Trunk (somebody stole it).

WANTED:
Trunk Monkey; must be rabid and carnivorous.


So for anyone who doesn't already know, I recently had my work laptop and purse stolen from the trunk of my car while it was parked about 10 feet from the floor to ceiling windows that line the front of my gym. After doing a little research regarding the technology (or lack thereof) surrounding automobile alarms and the inexpensive yet effective devices available to would-be thieves; I thought I would share my newfound knowledge with my fellow seekers-of-knowledge, and the people who read my blog.

Check out this URL, and do a search for the phrase "Car Alarm Code Finder" (BTW, you'll find lots of other nifty little [criminally negligent] devices on this site, too). For the bargain price of $150.00 I can be the next proud owner of a device which, not only will record the encryption key used to disarm and unlock a vehicle within a 100+ foot distance for later retrieval (like...oh, say when I return to the gym at the same time the next day), but will also traverse all possible encryption key combinations for most standard, factory installed alarm systems within approximately 10-20 minutes.

In other words, somebody casually walked up to my car, hit a button; simultaneously disarming my alarm and opening my trunk, grabbed my crap out of it, closed the trunk and walked quietly away. The mystery of how a person silently and unobtrusively entered my trunk, which contains no external access points of any kind, and afterwards showed no visible damage, while in front of literally a crowd of people is suddenly solved.

The moral of the story is, it's way easier than you could ever imagine to not only access your car, but also to steal it, so don't leave anything of value in it and don't get too attached to it.

Related Links:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/car-alarm6.htm

No comments: