Wednesday, June 20, 2007

So I'm a Yuppie? There are worse things.

I finally tried it. I did, I really did.
Yesterday I drove 6 blocks out of my way to get my morning coffee at the local one-of-a-kind, not-some-giant-chain coffee shop named Influx.
And I did it again this morning.
And tomorrow, I'm going back to my Starbucks.
You can go ahead and hate me if you want, but I love Starbucks. I love coffee. And I love that I can be in virtually any city in the world and still get exactly the coffee I'm used to prepared exactly the way I'm used to.
I've heard about all the evil and devious things Starbucks does to chase away helpless, tiny, little, local coffee shops just so they can rule the coffee world and make a few more bucks. But I don't care.

The Influx Cafe is everything Starbucks haters love; it's hip, it's reasonably priced, it's got eclectic, healthy food like sandwiches with beets and sprouts, and it's chock full of all sorts of interesting people who would probably be fascinating to talk to, but I don't care.

On a good day, I spend approximately 3.5 minutes in my local Starbucks, getting my morning coffee, and that's how I like it. Because, true to my nature of Yuppie-dom, I must hurry off to work so I can make my millions. Is that so wrong? Why should I have to apologize for appreciating efficiency and convenience? Well, I'm through apologizing, I'm through cringing in anticipation of people's reaction when I tell them how much I love Starbucks, and I'm through strategically concealing my Starbuck's cup as I sneak past the locally owned coffee-cart outside my office building.

Loving Starbucks doesn't make me a money hungry, self-absorbed, victim of corporate America anymore than hating Starbucks makes those who do, tree-hugging, starving-artist, hippies.

2 comments:

BB said...

Hey,
I'm a yuppie too. It's not a bad thing, just a lousy stereotype, like Gen-X that marketing flacks like me come up with.

And besides... going to the local Starbuck's makes you more carbon friendly.

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.