Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Offensive Omnipotent Oo-glers

We've all seen them before (or more appropriately been seen by them); those guys who so blatantly and fervently oo-gle that a simple 2 minute conversation is disconcerting. I'm not talking about the testosterone-driven, 20 something's who gawk at the chick in the bar wearing the barely there skirt and halter top; she's aspiring for such attention.

The dudes I'm talking about have wandering eyes while I'm talking to them, wearing a turtleneck and wool pants. I don't understand it, these individuals come from all walks of life and some are quite attractive and popular with a very active, opposite-sex, social calendar; so what is it? Were these creatures absent from life's sociology course the day the instructor taught that women are no longer simple physical objects and that women have been actively contributing to society well beyond a sexual capacity for virtually a century now?

In spite of these obvious elements, such men seem biologically driven to focus in on a woman's physique, even in the midst of a totally inappropriate and unrelated atmosphere. They behave as though they've just been released from a 15 year, abstinence-enforced prison sentence...everyday! I don't get it, and as a professional female; I find it highly annoying.

There are times when, dressed for a girls-night-out occasion; it's apparent I'm receptive to such attention, but Monday-Friday; when I'm at work or the gym or walking my dog - it's NOT okay to oo-gle. It's distracting, offensive, and vulgar.

There are thousands of other men around me who seem to have intuitively figured out when oo-gling is okay and when it's not (or they just fake it well) - what's with these stragglers?

No comments: