Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Psssshhaw...A man's world - hah!!

Sure, I took my share of Women's Studies classes at the University because, much like the sociology courses, they were some easy upper division credits. I even briefly considered minoring in the subject, but, while I found some of the topics to be quite fascinating and educational, I noticed a common theme, nay, a common atmosphere among them all:
Woe is me, a minority, living in this cruel WASP world! How will I ever survive? More importantly, how did I ever make it this far?!

I believe there is a time and place for empathetic sympathy, but not when it comes to one's minoric [copyright, patent pending] gender. In my opinion, adversity just makes one stronger, smarter, faster, and more driven than everyone around them who got there without facing their own comparable adversity.

Would I choose adversity if given the option? Honestly, I don't know. Does that make me crazy? Maybe, but I have to consider the fact that others doubting my ability or criticizing my efforts generally just makes me try that much harder and want it that much more. So, would I have achieved as much without some adversity? Honestly, I don't know.

Male-centric arenas I have already invaded and subsequently conquered:
  • Software Engineering - Roughly a 1:20 ratio in computer sciences' course enrollment.
  • Motorheadism - I can personally attest to the lack of female presence within this realm. In the 3 times I visited the drag strip with my car, I only witnessed one other female racer among countless males. The racetrack course I attended also contained 1 additional female other than myself among approximately 50 males.
  • Definite and perpetual financial independence - "All the honeys who make ur money...throw your hands up at me!".
  • An emphasis on one's career/educational development and accomplishments for personal fulfillment and gratification rather than only one's personal life/experiences - Ladies, let's be honest. Despite what your college transcript indicates, how many girls out there were/are really pursuing their 'MRS.' degrees?
  • The Weight Room Squat Rack - I've never seen another girl doing free-squats at my gym and, judging by the expression(s) on my fellow lifters' faces, neither have they. Sure, it took some strategizing to figure out how to 'manhandle' the 45lb Olympic bar above my shoulders, but now I'm a regular pro.
Future male-centric arenas I plan to invade and conquer:
  • The motorcyle portion of Motorheadism.
  • Software Architecture - I don't know a single female software architect - all the more reason to subdue and conquer.
  • Stand-up urination [kidding...I can already do this; just not very accurately].
The purpose of this bloggish narrative is not to tout my own ferocious drive or my personal accomplishments, but rather to inspire other to create their own. I've pursued and conquered these arenas for no other reason than they piqued my interest and I was fortunate enough to have a father who never treated me like a daughter, but instead like a child, and a mother who worked hard to keep from squelching my fierce independence (and occasional stubbornness). Everyone should be as lucky as me. But if you're not, who cares?!

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever limit yourself according to someone else's standards or limitations. If you have an interest or a curiosity, as non-status-quo as it may seem, pursue it. If you don't understand it or are intimidated by it, start asking questions or find some education. Bottom line is, your only limitations are the ones you impose upon yourself.

1 comment:

appwiz said...

Michele Leroux Bustamante (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/Aa336538.aspx)