Monday, July 30, 2007

I Smell Ice Cream


It seems that virtually every week I discover a new, ecclectic, character-filled, cheap, yummy place to eat in this culinary mecca of a city. I've been a resident now for a little over a year and here are my personal picks in order of preference for cheapest, yummiest, funnest places to grab a bite;
  1. Sushi Deli II [Downtown] - This place has, by far, the best and most inexpensive sushi rolls I've ever tasted. And their atmosphere filled with loud 80's pop music and $5.50 large Sapporo/Sake special makes for a good time had by all.
  2. The Turf Club [Golden Hill] - This cook-your-own steak dive bar comes complete with $6 sirloins and $6 16oz (potent) drinks.
  3. Cass Street Bar and Grill [Pacific Beach] - Who knew a bar could have such delicious, fresh food (even their breakfasts!) and the informality of it all means more than reasonable prices.
  4. Hash House a-go-go [Hillcrest] - Every inch of the walls in this place are covered with awards and notariety for their food and presentation, and they've earned every bit of it.
  5. Luigi's Pizza [Golden Hill] - Amaaaaazing Chicago-style pizza and an impressive selection of bottled beers. (Though I suggest purchasing a pie at a time @ a reasonable $20.00 each rather than by-the-slice since their individual slices are occasionally fly-friendly.)
  6. Ichiban Sushi [Pacific Beach] - Sushi Deli II's rolls are far superior, but for reasonable, yummy, sashimi, I head here. It's a tiny place, but well worth the wait.
  7. Hodad's Burgers [Ocean Beach] - A health nut's nemesis; GIANT burgers, HUGE fry wedges, and lots of beer.
  8. Rusty's [Crown Point] - A close second behind Hodad's; good burgers, good beer, good times.
  9. Filippi's Pizza Grotto [Pacific Beach] - Deep dish, cheap, yumminess.
  10. Café Zucchero [Little Italy] - Amazing, authentic Italian food.
  11. Celadon [Hillcrest] - Not the cheapest place, but if you're into Thai food; it's the best I've had in the city and the atmosphere is quite pleasant.
  12. Extraordinary Desserts - One word: wow.
What did I miss?

2 comments:

appwiz said...

Daily's: where nutritious is delicious

Tracy said...

Oh yea...you're totally right, I've been there! My favorite was the buffalo burger and sweet potato french fries combo. That place is TASTY and you don't feel all icky after eating lunch there, nor do you suffer the post-lunch coma that so often follows 'off-campus' lunches. While I'm on the topic, I also like eXtreme Pita in Clairemont Mesa for a nutritious, delicious lunch alternative.